Tap Dance – For Ages 6 and Older
Tap dance is distinct style of dance, Tap focuses on intricate footwork to create rhythms and sounds made with metal taps on the soles of the shoes. Tap is known as an American art form with influences from Ireland, England, Africa and even the West Indies. Tap is like playing drums with your feet, requiring its students to develop fine motor skills, balance and control, Tap is a challenge for both the mind and the body. Like other forms of dance, Tap is continually evolving and exploring itself within the genre. In level 1 Tap/Jazz, beginner students experience the perfect introduction to Tap while learning beginner Jazz steps to incorporate into their movements. As students become more advanced they’re able to create faster and more intricate sounds and rhythms. All instructors are professional teachers and have graduated from our own, in-house four year teacher training program. If you or your child loves to make noise or follow the beat with your feet, then Tap is for you. Every student’s year culminates in the annual performances in June at the Winnipeg Centennial Concert Hall. We’ll see you on stage!
The Shelley Shearer Advantage:
• Professionally accredited and experienced teachers
• Two instructors in every class and limited class sizes ensures individual attention
• Full range of class levels in each discipline and lots of class times to choose from
• All programs have been developed through years of experience and are updated on an ongoing basis
• Teachers receive leading edge training at national and international conventions and classes
• World-class facilities: Studios have sprung dance floors and professional dance flooring to help prevent injuries
• Viewing Gallery with large windows and ample seating
Annual Parent Open House provides added insight into student progress
Lots of free parking
• Live piano accompaniment in preschool and ballet classes
• June recital for all students aged 3 and up at the Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall
• Award winning choreographers and teachers
• Director’s Invitational programs in all disciplines for more intensive training and other performing and competing opportunities
• Decades of Provincial, National and World Champions
• More Adjudicator’s Choice Awards and Scholarships than any dance school in a single year and in Manitoba Dance Festival history.
• More World Champions than any school in Manitoba.
• In-house assistant and teacher training program in all dance styles and levels
• World famous guest teachers and workshops held at our own studios