Prep Steps Dance – 5 Year Olds
Prep Steps Dance – For 5 Year Olds
The Prep Steps program is our opportunity to challenge your 5 year old by exposing them to not just one style of dance, but four. Uniquely developed at the Shelley Shearer School of Dance over two decades, Prep Steps offers a glimpse into pre-primary Ballet, Jazz, Musical Theatre and Tap. Each one hour class is divided into three modules with one dance discipline taught in each. This is designed to keep your child’s attention while also enabling them to focus on the challenges provided within each style. In pre-primary Ballet, students learn posture, muscle control and awareness. It is the first gentle introduction into the art of classical Ballet. Intro to Jazz exposes the student to this more contemporary dance style using music that spans the 20th century to today’s current hits. Musical Theatre is an exploration into not only dancing, but singing and acting. Students learn basic singing skills such as breathing from their diaphragm and acting exercises such as miming. Intro to Tap is not only fun for the feet, but also a challenge for the mind. The 10 month program culminates in our annual performances in June at the Winnipeg Centennial Concert Hall. At the performance, students in Prep Steps combine all of the disciplines explored with their Tap shoes in tow.
The Shelley Shearer Advantage:
• Professionally accredited and experienced teachers
• Two instructors in every class and limited class sizes ensures individual attention
• Full range of class levels in each discipline and lots of class times to choose from
• All programs have been developed through years of experience and are updated on an ongoing basis
• Teachers receive leading edge training at national and international conventions and classes
• World-class facilities: Studios have sprung dance floors and professional dance flooring to help prevent injuries
• Viewing Gallery with large windows and ample seating
Annual Parent Open House provides added insight into student progress
• Lots of free parking
• Live piano accompaniment in preschool and ballet classes
• June recital for all students aged 3 and up at the Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall
• Award winning choreographers and teachers
• Director’s Invitational programs in all disciplines for more intensive training and other performing and competing opportunities
• Decades of Provincial, National and World Champions
• More Adjudicator’s Choice Awards and Scholarships than any dance school in a single year and in Manitoba Dance Festival history.
• More World Champions than any school in Manitoba.
• In-house assistant and teacher training program in all dance styles and levels
• World famous guest teachers and workshops held at our own studios
• Age specific preschool classes provide appropriate instruction & programming for each level of development
• Live piano accompaniment