Lyrical, Contemporary & Modern Dance
For Ages 10 and Older – Taking Intermediate Jazz or Senior 3 Ballet & Higher
Lyrical is a style of dance that expresses the lyrics of a song or feeling of the music using a combination of Jazz, Ballet & Modern dance techniques.
Contemporary is a current dance style that fuses several techniques including Ballet, Modern & Jazz. It is cutting edge and innovative, pushing the boundaries of dance today.
Modern dance is a free expressive style of dance that started in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, in part as a rebellion to Classical Ballet. Many legendary innovators such as Isadora Duncan, Martha Graham, Katherine Dunham, Lester Horton & Jose Limon established movement and styles that continue to form the foundation of what is taught today.
Our program is under the Direction of Lindsay Nelko, who is an internationally recognized and award winning professional choreographer.
Every student’s year culminates in the annual performances in June at the Winnipeg Centennial Concert Hall. We’ll see you on stage!
The Shelley Shearer Advantage:
• Professionally accredited and experienced teachers
• Two instructors in every class and limited class sizes ensures
• Full range of class levels in each discipline and lots of class times to choose from
• All programs have been developed through years of experience and are updated on an ongoing basis
• Teachers receive leading edge training at national and international conventions and classes
• World-class facilities: Studios have sprung dance floors and professional dance flooring to help prevent injuries
• Viewing Gallery with large windows and ample seating
Annual Parent Open House provides added insight into student progress
Lots of free parking
• Live piano accompaniment in preschool and ballet classes
• June recital for all students aged 3 and up at the Manitoba Centennial Concert Hall
• Award winning choreographers and teachers
• Director’s Invitational programs in all disciplines for more intensive training and other performing and competing opportunities
• Decades of Provincial, National and World Champions
• More Adjudicator’s Choice Awards and Scholarships than any dance school in a single year and in Manitoba Dance Festival history
• More World Champions than any school in Manitoba
• In-house assistant and teacher training program in all dance styles and levels
• World famous guest teachers and workshops held at our own studios